– Learning from my mistakes!
This page is not another ‘my budget travel tips’ are the perfect way to travel or the ‘ultimate guide’ to travel.
I know there are thousands of ‘budget travel tips’ posts out there. While some may be useful I find most of them try dictating to you, telling you their way is the only way.
Let me just say, no matter how long anybody has travelled for, nobody should ever dictate to you how to travel. Traveling is about freedom, if that means you want to do something a certain way then you it your way. You travel the way you want to, you make you own mistakes, you learn from them and ultimately it’s your own growth and experience.
I’ve made huge mistakes, gone into situations blind, terribly misjudged and misused budgets, made bad decisions but managed to come out those proverbial shit pipes relatively clean. I’m not saying I’m perfect now; far from it. However I did learn from my mistakes and the evolution helped me sustain long-term travel.
Over the years traveling the world on the tightest of budgets, I learnt, adapted and evolved to travel smart and picked up a lot of tricks along the way.
You might be a first time traveler, or somebody thinking about traveling but not sure where to start or maybe you don’t think you can afford it.
Are you already be a traveler but find your money is just disappearing (we’ve all been there) and want some hints. So while the following points are my opinion and what works for me I hope I can help you.
Follow the links to your relevant section:
1. Research and planning a solo budget trip Part 1 (Includes – Initial research and planning, Transport options and planning my budget.) Click on the pic to view
2. Research and planning a solo budget trip part 2 (Includes – Finding accommodation, flights, travel insurance and packing.) Available Thurs 18th May
3. Traveling to a new country – (Includes – Airports, making the most of and coping with long haul flights, arriving in a new country) Coming soon
4. Hostels – hostel life, long-term vs short term, hostel etiquette, types of hostels, dorms – Coming soon
4. Transport – buses, tour groups, vans, trains – Coming soon
5- Budgeting while on your trip – Coming soon
6 – Art of haggling – Coming soon
7- Food, eating out vs cooking – Coming soon
8 – feeling lonely (getting over it)
9 – getting by when completely broke
10 – letting go of the pride to make money
11 – having an open mind
12 – get involved
13 – making friends, they will be like family